Monday, December 12, 2011

What are your favorite Christmas Cookies?





Christmas cookies have been a tradition in my family ever since I can remember.  My mother used to make dozens and dozens of all different kinds.  And to this day, I make this a priority on the "christmas to-do list" every year.  I love spending time in my kitchen, it gives me great peace and grounding.

Our family's holiday favorites are M&M cookies, Peanut Butter Blossoms and Chocolate Walnut Balls.  The house would smell soo good as my Mom baked each batch to perfection.  However, she wanted to freeze them and save them for guests and family to indulge in during the Christmas and New Years weeks.  Well, as you can imagine, that was torture to children who loved cookies.  Especially those chocolate walnut balls.  This is a very special family recipe that I happen to love! 

In fact, one year, I decided to sneak into the freezer to grab some of those little treasures.  We had one of the refridgerators with the freezer on the top.  It was placed in this small backroom off the kitchen that also housed two closets across from it.  I remember the room being cold and this ugly shade of green - lol.  I am sure if I asked my Mom, she might correct me on this detail.  So, one day, when I thought my mother wasn't watching, I quietly walk into the backroom, open the freezer and pop open that plastic lid with those yummy little chocolate balls covered in confectioner sugar glaze.  I excitedly grabbed two of them just as the entire refridgerator begins to tip and fall toward my little body. 

So, what do I do? Panic! and Yell - "Mom!"  and just as I did, the refridgerator tipped and the top hit the other wall and was tettering there as my Mom came running.  Well, needless to say I got in some trouble!  I don't actually remember if my Mom let me eat the cookies.  No matter, it is a story I will remember for years to come.

What are your favorite Christmas cookies?




I would love to hear them.

Kimberley

No comments: