Friday, November 4, 2011

An artist and His work, an Interview with Sting

I listened to an interview with Sting last night by Mark Goodier. I could listen to him talk for hours.  He has been a favorite artist of mine for a long time now.  Not only do I love his music, I admire him as a person.  His persona is spiritual, somewhat eccentric, sensual and so very connected to the human experience.

He has come out with a new box set called, Sting 25 years.  A culmination of his work over the last quarter of a century.  In this interview he talks through his thoughts as he made different pieces of music - how he was feeling, what was happening in the world at the time, what inspired him.

He took a lot of risks throughout his career and I am certain he will take more in the years to come.  As creative souls, artists, whatever society calls us, we evolve through our work.



In the interview Sting remarks:

       "I won't finish a song if I don't think it's particularly good.  I might take a fragment of it and it might morph into something else..... Anything else, I don't bother finishing."

As I contemplated those words, I thought of my own work and blogging.  My mother and I were chatting yesterday and she asked me if I had written any new blogs recently. I said to her, "you know Mom...I see all these people with their blogs referring to other people's writings and I see people on Twitter, 'tweeting' much the same. 

But, as for me,  I want to be original.  I want to write my own words and share them with the world.  I know that I am not a 'known brand' in the world - YET, - but I am trying to establish myself as a writer.  I want people to know what I can do.  I want to share my own thoughts."


So many articles I have read say that "you must blog everyday" to be successful, to drive people to your site and to keep them coming back.  I struggle with that mandate, so-to-speak. On certain days, the inspiration for a great blog piece doesn't come to mind.  I don't publish every blog I write because for some reason, I wasn't particularly happy with it.  I might have written it, saved it, re-read it the next day and said - you know what, I am not thrilled with that. I think I will just save it.

I want my readers to feel inspired, to be moved, to know that someone understands and most of all, I want to share our human experiences with one another. 

I guess then, I am right there with Sting. One could only hope that I will be as successful as he, in my own works of art.

I would love to hear some thoughts from my readers on what they think about this topic?

No comments: