Wednesday, September 23, 2015

The Secret Garden within All of Us





One of my spiritual mentors died recently. Dr. Wayne W. Dyer was not only someone I looked up to because his books have taught me so much, but his life was an example of what he wrote and spoke about.

In his recent book, I Can See Clearly Now, he talks about his fascination with the book The Secret Garden, written by Francis Hodgson Burnett when he was a young boy in school.

I was surprised to learn this as I listened to the audio book, days after he died. You see this has always been one of my favorite books too! I have even gone back on occasion in my adult life to re-read it or watch the video.  As a young girl I was always somewhat of a homebody. I loved the warmth my childhood home provided me and I was always reading, studying and baking! What a surprise - those are still my favorite things to do in life!

Dr. Dyer talks about his teacher reading parts of the book each day in the classroom and how he really looked forward to it. He then goes on to explain some of the symbolism that the book portrays. I was fascinated by his explanation and still ponder it today. However, as I read more of Dr. Dyers books each morning since his death, I see the symbolism become clear.

For those of you not familiar with the Secret Garden, a little girl, by the name of Mary Lennox was orphaned at 10 by her parents who died in a cholera epidemic in India  and sent to live with her uncle in England. She is sad, hurt, dower, feeling unwanted and is very negative and aggressive. While living there she discovers a beautiful place that she can escape to with her new found,sickly friend - Colin. It is a private walled garden hidden from the large manor in which they were living. It is a magical place only to be found with a key that her uncle had put away due to his wife dying in that very same place when she fell from a tree.

Dr. Dyer explains that we all can have a "secret garden" within us or in the physical realm where we can go to create whatever it is we wish for our lives. We only need use our imagination. It is a space that no one is allowed without our permission.





It is in this private space that we can realize our dreams and disregard the noise of the physical world that surrounds us. This place offers us peace when life seems too challenging. It offers us a place to clear out the clutter and listen to our inner guidance. Our own secret refuge.

In his book, As a Man Thinketh, James Allen says, “The outer world of circumstance shapes itself to the inner world of thought.”   He too must of know what Dr. Dyer learned as a young boy.

Certainly this sheds a different perspective on the childhood book that has been close to my heart for all these years.  I wonder, did I know this too? Could I just not put it into words like Dr. Dyer has done so well? I'm not sure.

What I do know after reading many books that speak to this same inner world, I finally understand it. I guess it took Dr. Dyer's passing and our mutual love for this book for me to gain a more clear understanding. 

Interesting, how this came about in my reading of his book, I Can See Clearly Now.

I encourage all of you to go within and create Your Own Secret Garden! You will be surprised at what unfolds in the external world of your life!



Blessings and Love,
Kimberley




No comments: