Thursday, April 29, 2021

Lifting the Veil of Fear and tuning into Love

 

People often ask me what inspires my writing. My answer would be that it isn't just one thing in particular. It truly is what moves me at a moment in time. And yes, those things can vary so widely , but isn't life so amazing that it has so much inspiration to offer? 

Another question people ask me is , where do I write? and "on what"?  Well, that is a varied answer too. I do have a beautiful office, with yellow painted walls and my favorite white Pottery Barn desk and chairs. I write there quite often, but there are times where I find I need to retreat and really go-within. To a place of complete solitude, absolute peace and serenity. No computer, no phone , no people. Where is that place? 

Oftentimes, this place is my bedroom and sometimes it's a quiet spot that I can find amongst trees in a park or a hiking trail.

What does all of this have to do with the title of today's blog? This morning I really felt I needed to retreat, to find my center once again. The events of the larger world around me some days can be too much to bear. I feel things deeply , whether this be love or fear, some call me an empath - maybe that is true.

So, I brewed some coffee, fed the cats and curled up under the covers in my bedroom. In this space, I grabbed some of my favorite things that keep me grounded. You can see some of them in the photos.



 Victoria and Gabby and my yellow writing tablet. Yes, a magazine, a book and pen and paper. Call me old fashioned and that's okay. I am "that" in so many ways. Victoria magazine soothes my soul and brings me back to a time where life was a bit more simple. A time when appreciation of the simple things like tea time and pretty linens were a thing. I love reading every ounce of this magazine and lo and behold, this Spring edition contained my very favorite and inspiring author, Jan Karon.  She is the writer-in- residence. I hope someday perhaps that will be Mother and me. Jan wrote this very eloquent piece as only she can do. It really spoke to me and the thoughts I had been thinking over the last few days.  She helped present things to me in a soft way, and taught me that there is a way I can show up for the world that feels good to me.

And Gabby Bernstein, well I just love her work and she has been my confident and friend over the last two months as I drink in every ounce of her book, Super Attractor.  I hope to meet her one day and tell her personally , how her work changed my life and got me through a transition in my life.

And then, there is my yellow writing tablet (thank you John Boy for that). A computer will never replace writing on a yellow tablet. I wrote my first novel by hand and I am pretty sure I will write others that way as well. My emotion comes through my hands with a pen. I am left-handed, a direct line to my heart. 

Last but not least, are my furry friends, Nicholas and Cody.  Forever, my loves as the cats that have lived with me and come before them - my deep love to you Creep, Ben, Bailey and Bella. 



  This is Cody, in one of his favorite spots, watching out for all those birds and animals in the backyard.

And here is Nicholas, always a Momma's boy and Cody, well, he decided to nap after his bird watching.
As I sat and read my magazine and let the quiet seep in, I put pen to paper. It felt good, it felt right. I was coming back to center, love was taking over the fear I had felt over the last few days. Jan always shows up for me when my writing takes a back seat to life. She reminds me to pick up my pen and keep writing.  I listened to the purr of Nicholas , content and happy and the words came. They flowed for awhile and then I went and warmed my coffee. I let Jan's words wash over me. 
 
Once again, I found my way under the covers , with the cats in the same spot and I picked up Gabby's book. The chapter on "Lifting the Veil" was right there. Lifting the Veil of Fear. I read a few paragraphs and decided to turn on her meditation with the same name. (Yes, I grabbed my phone as I warmed my coffee). I closed my eyes and breathed deeply as I listened to her calming voice. "Picture a bridge" ..she said, "fear is behind you, walk toward the light."   The meditation last eleven minutes and the peace and calm seeped through my mind and body, the fear was leaving and once again, I was tuned into love. As I opened my eyes , I wrote and the words flowed. Inspiration coming from a place of love.
 
 
 


No comments: