Thursday, February 23, 2012

Faschnauts!




Ok, so this mornings' blog is about these yummy little donuts that I love so much!  They come out only during the lenten season and I look forward to them every year! They are soo good!

Those of you who know me on a personal level, know that I love to cook and bake and I love to make treats that are celebrations of the seasons. This particular little donut looks like a little rectangle, deep fried and covered in powdered sugar or cinnamon sugar. 

Traditionally, they were made on Fat Tuesday, the day before lent starts as a way to empty the cupboards of lard, sugar and butter.  Thank god for tradition I say!

As for me, the tradition started when I was in my twenties and I dated a guy whose Mom would make them herself from scratch.  That was my first experience with them and I have been hooked ever since!

I know, for a girl who works out at the gym five times a week and is a healthy eater, blogging about a fatty donut.  Well, all I have to say is that I also really enjoy my life and I splurge on occassion, especially during holiday seasons.

 After all, life is meant to be savored and enjoyed and what better way to do it than through food!

I highly recommend you seek out a bakery in your area and try these little treats - they are yummy!

Happy Eating!

Kimberley

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

They don't make them gluten free!!