Thursday, February 9, 2012

A Fresh Piece of Basil





I walked through the grocery store tonight, after a long day, just yearning to go home and crawl under the covers. It was cold outside and I hadn't slept much last night.  I was hungry but knew there was no way I was going to cook when I got home.  As always, I spend most of my time in the fruit and vegetable aisle. I was looking at all the colors displayed in the Wegmans produce section.  The bright oranges, the reds of the apples, the green celery, the blue berries.  I found myself yearning for spring and summer and all the special salads and fruit pies.  It feels so good to eat well.

I strolled through the aisle soaking it all in and remembering the delicious sweetango apples my friend grows in his farm in Kendall, NY.  I wait for them each year now. And those delicious donut peaches! Yum!

I bumped right into the tomatoes and saw one of my most favorite herbs - Basil!!!!!!!!  I love italian cooking and italian food and caprese salad is just heaven for me!  The basil plants were sitting there amongst the tomatoes and I just had to pick off a piece and start smelling that little basil leaf! 

I know some people don't appreciate the sensuousness (is that a word? lol!) of food but I sure do!  I took that little basil leaf and rubbed it and smelled it all through my trip to Wegmans.  I closed my eyes and thought about that caprese salad with fresh slices of the summers tomatoes, and fresh mozzarella, drizzled with balsamic dressing.  My mouth is watering as I write this.

So, a little bit of summer on a very, crisp, cold winter night! 

And what of the basil leaf?  Hahaha.  I ate it as I bumped into a dear friend in the fresh bread section! Nothing like a sandwich tomorrow with basil, mozzarella, proscuitto and tomatoes on fresh italian, crusty bread!  I am truly a food lover! 

Kimberley

No comments: