Tuesday, March 21, 2017

Authentic Happiness

 Image result for authentic happinessImage result for authentic happiness


I reunited with a favorite book of mine this morning, Simple Abundance by Sara Ban Breathnach - a find from a friend long ago. It is a book of daily musings and inspirations . This book has been my companion for so many years giving me comfort and thoughts to ponder on my life's journey. In fact, this book has meant so much to me that I have given it as gifts to friends on so many special occasions.

I flipped to a random page that happened to be in July. The subject was living a life of dreaming or expectations, so timely for me as I ponder the next few years of my life. On those pages, I once again found solace. You see, I am a driven person, always reaching for my goals - or "another mountain" as my Mother used to say. However, at this point in my life, yes, I want to always be creating and exploring things in this wonderful world we live in - but I don't want to "strive" so much anymore. And by that I mean beating myself up for not reaching a goal right away or not achieving some of things I thought I would at this point in my life.

I am way too hard on myself with some very high expectations. I have always been this way. But I feel at this chapter of my life, it's time to change. It's time to dream yes, and put effort into those dreams, but perhaps the end goal isn't so much the expectation I have when I get there..but the happiness that comes from just "doing " those things that make me happy.

Being authentically happy with myself and my life is really is what is of utmost importance to me right now.

Oprah Winfrey talks about one of her favorite books by Gary Zukav,"The Seat of the Soul"... and how she learned to start leading her life with intention. I know understand what that means and I intend to live an authentically happy life, whatever that means to me.. whether its taking a cooking class, learning to use the camera my Mom bought me so many years ago, baking, publishing, writing, teaching.. I intend to live a life that isn't full of continuous striving - but full of authentic happiness - for me.

Books are an amazing source of inspiration to me - they teach me, they inspire me, they comfort me and they help me grow into being a better person than I was yesterday.

Thank you Sara, thank you Oprah, thank you Gary - for being the teachers you are and giving us your gifts.

Love and Light,
Kimberley

No comments: